Are Japanese people using different websites than users in other countries? Back in July 2008 and 2009, we made two lists that showed some similarities and differences in usage, and now it’s time for a reboot.
We know that this list is highly subjective. We know that some sites are not identical in nature (but just similar) in some cases (Netflix-Posren, for example). Leave a comment if you want to know more or think one of these attributions is off.
I linked to the English versions whenever possible (see the [ENG] mark).
Here’s the list (in no particular order):
What is the Japanese equivalent of Tripadvisor?
Hatena Bookmark. [ENG]
Hatena Hot Entry.
-> Hatena lists up the “hottest” bookmarks by their users here.
No equivalent (many business social networks failed in Japan – look here for a list).
dooyoo (price comparison engine)?
No equivalent (there is no culture for classifieds in Japan, which means an instant success for a “Japanese Craigslist” is next to impossible to achieve).
IMDb (Internet Movie Database)?
Nihon Eiga Database (Japan Movie Database).
Wall Street Journal Online?
Nikkei Online. [ENG]
Yahoo! Japan Auctions.
Futaba (the original).
In case you want to know more, please add a comment.
Latest posts by Serkan Toto (see all)
- The Nikkei: KDDI To Start Offering The iPad Mini From November - 3:16 PM
- For $12.8 Million: Yahoo Japan Acquires Decopic Creator Community Factory - 6:46 PM
- Nico Nico Douga Hits 28 Million Users, Generates US$46 Million In Sales Last Quarter - 2:20 PM
- SoftBank Starts Using The 900MHz “Platinum Band” - 9:22 AM
- Rakuten Starts Featuring Pinterest On Its Japanese Marketplace And Other Properties - 7:58 AM