We recently conducted a survey among college students and found that LINE is their most favorite social media platform. Most interestingly when we asked what they would do if there was an earthquake, they listed LINE as their preferred type of communication channel after the phone, email and the internet. This is a topic I will discuss in my upcoming book Social Media and Japan.
QUESTION: If there was an earthquake with the magnitude of 6.8 that hit this school and caused some minor damage (presume that you are safe and there’s no serious damage in your building). How would you use the new communication tools at that moment? Please rank these choices in terms of your priority. Your first choice should be listed as the 1st and your last choice should be ranked as the 7th.
Internet (search, browse, etc.)
Line (message, call, etc.)
Facebook (update, message, search, etc.)
Twitter (update, message, search, etc.)
Mixi (update, message, search, etc.)
Total Respondents: 83
Score is a weighted calculation. Items ranked first are valued higher than the following ranks, the score is the sum of all weighted rank counts.
Latest posts by Adam Acar (see all)
- How Facebook Crossed the Chasm in Japan and Lessons for Other Platforms - March 26, 2013
- What to do if an earthquake strikes? LINE is the answer - February 7, 2013
- Social Gamers’ Social Media Use in Japan - November 13, 2012
- Japan`s First Social Media Focused Competition Kicks Off - September 16, 2012
- One Social Network, Two Different Stories: Qualitative Analysis of Facebook Users in Japan and the US - August 13, 2012