At the end of last month a rumors had spread that Apple would buy Sony and Sony stocks had moved up.
If Apple buy Sony we might be able to see Sony Pictures’ movies on iTunes, more games on iTunes and Sony Music artists’ songs on Japanese iTunes store ( and Japanese iTunes music store is not rich on song lineup so this might be a great benefit for Japanese iTunes lovers).
It was just a rumor but Google has more reasons to buy Sony than Apple does.
1. Google TV
Sony recently release Google TV and being the best partner to spread Google TV against little Apple TV set top box. Although Sony is not shinning as it was on 80’s, Sony is being a top leading company and known brand for TV.
2. Good partner to spread Android handsets
Sony’s first Android handest Xperia is the second best selling smartphone in Japan. 2.2 million smartphone was shipped in the first half year of 2010 in Japan and while Apple iPhone occupied 60.1 % of the market, Sony covered 20.6%, shipped 460 thousand Xperia handsets.
3.Google is a company good to make software / Sony is a company good to make hardware
Sony can provide hardware for Google, and Google can provide software for Sony. This might be a best combination. Apple is not making hardware by themselves but selling hardware is their main business.
4. Good executive relationship?
Former president of Google Japan, Koichiro Tsujino was president of Sony’s personal computer division, where he led VAIO PC brand before joining Google.
Of course this is just a speculation but Google might work to buy Sony if Apple is really thinking to buy it.
Latest posts by Hiroumi Mitani (see all)
- The 5 Japanese Cellphones That Changed Mobile World Forever - April 12, 2013
- Facebook Spot Information Is Jacked By A Giant Japanese Coupon Business Player - July 8, 2011
- Mobage Shows How Small Teams Are Making 1 Billion Yen Revenue Per Month - June 6, 2011
- Groupon Japan Sets A Special Offer To Raise Money For Japan Earthquake - March 12, 2011
- Handwritten iPad: A Birthday Present From A Daughter - February 2, 2011