On August 7, at Cyberport in Hong Kong, there was a one-day conference giving Hong Kong and Asian entrepreneurs the opportunities to present their services and discussing the future of tech start-up communities in the region.
There are two hubs for incubating tech start-ups in Hong Kong. One is Cyberport, which is located on the ocean side of Hong Kong Island and near a floating restaurant which are often introduced as one of the area’s must-visit spots on Globetrotter and Lonely Planet. The other one is Hong Kong Science Park, which is located 30-minute away from the region’s highest populated area by train bound for Guangdong Province[C], Mainland China. Startup Saturday 2010 took place at Cyberport.
It started with a keynote address made by Douglas Young, the co-founder/CEO of G.O.D.(Goods of Desire, 住好啲), a Hong Kong-based design-oriented casual furniture/clothing chain retailer.
(The event’s opening starts around 00:06:45. Please put the video above on forth.)
- Arthur Chow, COO of 6 Waves (A Hong Kong-based social game app provider who has developed a lot of popular Facebook apps.)
- Andy Ann, CEO and Founder of Darizi.com[C] (大日子, a Hong Kong-based start-up operating wedding and marriage portal sites.)
- Kevin Huan, CEO of Pixel Media (a Hong Kong-headquartered Asian online ad sales network having offices in Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.)
- Terry Tsang, Co-founder of Pencake (a Hong Kong-based Facebook game developer specializing in helping brands and agencies create and launch interactive promotions.)
Start-up Showcase Round 1:
Crispy Entertainment develops the original comic book series for the iPhone and other iOS devices. They recently introduced Super Kaiju Hero Force #1 of 5. Created by Casey Lau and Jeff Kwan and 70+ pages of FREE comic book action served up with Apple’s iADs. The app is available on iTunes AppStore.
Photogoodness (in private beta)
Photogoodness is a new digital photography management and manipulation application, built from the ground up for photography enthusiasts with DSLR cameras.
Stylenearby (in public beta)
StyleNearBy is an iPhone app that will help you keep track of your favorite boutiques and designers so that you will not miss another sale event or new product launch again. The app is available on iTunes AppStore.
Pandaform is a simple business form builder. Use PandaForm to create and process forms, then manage or update the data. Keep track of contacts and know who submitted forms to you.
FindLegs.com is a multi-lingual social network platform that promotes action and activities amongst users by integrating multiple user-friendly online communication technologies and channels in efforts to promote thinking, cycling of information, interaction, and finally action.
Boot HK aims at igniting Hong Kong’s entrepreneurial community by giving people a social place they can work and meet up. The long term vision is to create a network of spaces throughout the country that provide different environments such as hackerspaces, workshops, and social meetups for artists, entrepreneurs, and technologists. Their first space in Sheung Wan will be a place to bring everyone together and to provide space for co-working.
- Tony Chan, Founder, Asia Pacific Deal Flow (亞洲企業融資平台, a platform for distributing private equity fund raising deals.)
- Douglas Glen, Ex-CEO, Imagi Studios (意馬動畫工作室, an animation production of CG-animated feature films.)
- James Giancotti, CFO, Excitin (incubation, helping in brand building of tech start-ups and dealing with M&A issues.)
- Kin Ko, Founder, Lakoo China (拉闊遊戲, an iPhone/Android game developer known for their popular MMORPG 帝國Online(Empire Online) which has engaged three million users worldwide.)
- CNNGo: The startup ecosystem in Hong Kong
- e27: Hong Kong startups come together: A StartUP Saturday report
Latest posts by Masaru IKEDA (see all)
- As The First In Its Kind, Digital-Focused Event To Be Held This Weekend In Fukuoka - November 9, 2011
- Mig33 Launches Developer Program, Many Asian Gaming Apps To Come Out In Japan - July 31, 2011
- Zaim: The Socialized Cashbook App Helps You Find Better Ways To Save Daily Expenses - July 20, 2011
- Event Wrap-up: Echelon 2011 And More, A Visit To Singapore In June - July 18, 2011
- August’s Startup Weekend Events To Take Place In Tokyo, Kyoto And Fukuoka - July 11, 2011