A rural town located on the south coast of Hokkaido Island, Niikappu, put four of the town’s unused municipal elementary school sites on sale on Yahoo Auction[J]. The sites consist of school buildings, swimming pools and teachers’ dormitories. The bid started in the USD21M to USD67M price range.
Because of the declining number of applicants for schools due to the low birthrate, the town government was forced to close seven elementary schools last spring. The government has been trying to sell all unused facilities to the private sector, but four school sites remained unsold and the government decided to list them on Yahoo Auction.
According to Yahoo Japan[J], these are the first school sites ever listed since the company started handling government items on Yahoo Auction.
- Yahoo Auction’s Special Coverage: Interesting Items On Bid At The Governmental Items Category[J]
- Niikappu Town Government: We Want Those Who Are Interested In Using Ex-school Sites[J]
[edited by mitcho (Michael Erlewine)]
Latest posts by Masaru IKEDA (see all)
- As The First In Its Kind, Digital-Focused Event To Be Held This Weekend In Fukuoka - November 9, 2011
- Mig33 Launches Developer Program, Many Asian Gaming Apps To Come Out In Japan - July 31, 2011
- Zaim: The Socialized Cashbook App Helps You Find Better Ways To Save Daily Expenses - July 20, 2011
- Event Wrap-up: Echelon 2011 And More, A Visit To Singapore In June - July 18, 2011
- August’s Startup Weekend Events To Take Place In Tokyo, Kyoto And Fukuoka - July 11, 2011