The Telecommunications Carriers Association (TCA) of Japan has released a set of statistics on Japan’s mobile market today, showing that the country had 122.44 million cell phone subscribers last month (out of a total population of 128 million). According to the organization, Japan’s carriers added 569,200 new customers between July and August.
Breaking down the number to individual carriers, the TCA said that:
- Softbank Mobile gained 239,000 new subscribers on a net basis in August, bringing the total to 26.62 million
- NTT Docomo came in second with 182,100 subscribers gained (total: 58.79 million)
- Emobile gained 75,000 new customers (total: 3.42 million)
- KDDI au attracted 73,000 subscribers (total: 33.53 million)
- Willcom gained 55,100 subscribers (total: 4.1 million)
According to Wikipedia (which uses slightly outdated numbers for some countries), these statistics make Japan the seventh largest mobile market in the world.