Japan weekend box office ranking for January 15th-16th weekend has just been released by Kogyo Tsushinsha [J].
The first weekend of “The Social Network” appeared on 321 theaters both in subtitle and dubbed versions all through the nation on January 15, 2011.
1. “Boku to Tsuma no 1778 no Monogatari” [J] (“1778 Stories of My wife and me”) A Japanese human drama. (1st week)
2. “So-shiaru Nettowa-ku” (“The Social Network”) (1st week)
The film is based on the true story of science fiction writer Taku Mayumura whose wife died of colon cancer in 2002. After a doctor told him laughter can help the immune system, Mayumura began writing one story of at least 3 pages every day for his cancer-stricken wife. Although the initial prognosis was that she would only survive one year, she went on to live 5 good years with the help of the 1,778 total stories written by her husband for her over that time.
In U.S., the movie topped box office on the first weekend with US$23 million sales in October 2010.
5. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1″ (9th week)
6. “Space Battleship Yamato” [J] (7th week)
7. “Inazuma Eleven The Movie” [J] (4th week)
8. “Tron Legacy” (5th week)
9. “Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider OOO & W feat. Skull Movie Wars CORE” [J] (5th week)
10. “Shrek Forever” (5th week)
Also on another ranking by Toho Cinemas, “The Social Network” is ranked at the second position after “Boku to Tsuma no 1778 no Monogatari”.
Buzzed in cities and on the web
During the weekend, the movie name “So-shiaru Nettowa-ku” appeared a lot on Japanese Twitter stream by people who watched it. Many blog reports were also written. Most of them are positive.
Big theaters in central Tokyo provided a good number of screens for the movie, and they were mostly full.
If the excitements are handed from those tech-savvies to regular Japanese, from urban to countryside, it still has a chance to be a long-run in Japan.
The movie winning four awards on Golden Globes on Sunday also helps to get attention from Japanese movie fans.
Latest posts by Akky Akimoto (see all)
- Chromebook Finally Comes For Japanese Consumers - November 11, 2014
- Japanese Legal Advice Service Bengo4.com To Go IPO - November 7, 2014
- Japanese Crowdsource Service Crowdworks To Go IPO - November 7, 2014
- Yahoo! Japan Reportedly Ends The Tie With Kakao Japan - November 7, 2014
- Google Agreed To Remove 122 Items By Court Order - October 23, 2014