This is a reboot of a post I wrote back in July last year, listing up the Japanese equivalents of websites that are popular in the US and Europe.
For example, Japanese people don’t know Ebay but auction their stuff off on Yahoo Japan Auctions, get in touch with friends via Mixi instead of Facebook etc. etc.
I linked to the English versions whenever possible (see the [ENG] mark).
Leave a comment if you want to know more or think one of these attributions is off.
I) General web services
What is the Japanese equivalent of Tripadvisor?
Yahoo! Japan Photos.
Minna no Topics (Everyone’s topics/closed).
No equivalent (many business social networks failed in Japan – look here for a list).
Nico Nico Douga.
Hatena Bookmark. [ENG]
dooyoo (price comparison engine)?
No equivalent (there is no culture for classifieds in Japan, which means an instant success for a “Japanese Craigslist” is next to impossible to achieve).
imdb (Internet Movie Database)?
Nihon Eiga Database (Japan Movie Database).
Wall Street Journal Online?
Nikkei Online. [ENG]
Yahoo! Japan Auctions.
Futaba (the original).
Mixi Music (registration required/will be turned off soon).
the Huffington Post?
III) Web tools and software:
What is the Japanese equivalent of Gmail?
Yahoo! Japan Mail.
Share. (see info on Asiajin)
IV) Web Companies
What is the Japanese equivalent of Federated Media?
Agile Media Network. [ENG]
In case you want to know more, please add a comment.
Latest posts by Serkan Toto (see all)
- The Nikkei: KDDI To Start Offering The iPad Mini From November - 3:16 PM
- For $12.8 Million: Yahoo Japan Acquires Decopic Creator Community Factory - 6:46 PM
- Nico Nico Douga Hits 28 Million Users, Generates US$46 Million In Sales Last Quarter - 2:20 PM
- SoftBank Starts Using The 900MHz “Platinum Band” - 9:22 AM
- Rakuten Starts Featuring Pinterest On Its Japanese Marketplace And Other Properties - 7:58 AM