The once Japanese-only and super-successful video platform Nico Nico Douga goes international. They announced Friday on the company blog that they developed a German and Spanish version of their service (comments and tags are separated from Japanese videos).
The international versions are already online. Nico Nico for people living in Taiwan was launched as early as October 2007.
This is great news for otaku and people interested in Japanese pop culture in Spanish and German speaking countries. Nico Nico didn’t release an English version, however. They didn’t state reasons but Nico Nico available in English would most probably spike up traffic significantly, generating higher server costs.
As a German, I must say the translation into my mother tongue is far from perfect and not professional at all. I hope the Spanish version is better.
Latest posts by Serkan Toto (see all)
- The Nikkei: KDDI To Start Offering The iPad Mini From November - 3:16 PM
- For $12.8 Million: Yahoo Japan Acquires Decopic Creator Community Factory - 6:46 PM
- Nico Nico Douga Hits 28 Million Users, Generates US$46 Million In Sales Last Quarter - 2:20 PM
- SoftBank Starts Using The 900MHz “Platinum Band” - 9:22 AM
- Rakuten Starts Featuring Pinterest On Its Japanese Marketplace And Other Properties - 7:58 AM