This morning column 2011: The year when Japan went global over social networking on The Japan Times, both on paper and online, Japanese English-language newspaper is a monthly tech column brought by Asiajin.
As it is for newspaper, there are not enough space to show the references. I leave the links here from my writing memo for who would like to research deeper.
Mixi vs Facebook
- Nielsen/NetRatings report (revised after Mixi’s statement. The original November 18 version seemed removed, unreachable)
- Mixi’s counter-argument
Besides that, Nielsen/NetRatings also revised its terminology from “users” to “visitors”. “To avoid misunderstandings”, it is going to use “visitors” instead of “users” from now on.
Mixi is basically a closed network, however, Facebook, though which also started as a closed network, gradually increased open pages for the Internet. “visitors” include people who happen to visit Facebook page once in the month even if they are not a Facebook member. I googled how many of Mixi and Facebook pages are indexed on Google, 7 billion Facebook pages are viewable from Google Search, but only 200,000 Mixi pages are there.
- Twitter’s official @twittercomms said it’s the record
- Twitter’s 2011 Year in review
- Wikipedia on Castle in the Sky, 13 reruns on TV
- Nippon Television Network organizes 30 local TV stations nationwide (channel 4 in Kanto)
- 2-channel live forum was down around the timing
Another anime line on TV which lets Japanese user chant is “No, he stole something quite precious. Your heart.” by Inspector Zenigata in The Castle of Cagliostro, another Hayao Miyazaki’s movie. But “Barusu” is much simpler so attract more attendees.
Google+ and AKB48
- Google+-AKB48 official page
- Google+-AKB48 press conference
- Google product VP Bradley Horowitz introduces this alliance to non-Japan users in English
- Google+ most followed users in Japan by UserLocal
Latest posts by Akky Akimoto (see all)
- NEC Releases AI Chooses The Best Taste of 2-channelers Soul Snack Umaibou - 10:14 AM
- i-mode cellphone shipment announced to cease by end of this year - 12:49 PM
- Smartphone Fasting Camp to be Held This Summer in Japan - 1:10 PM
- Japanese Web: Find Hilary Clinton’s Photo Similar To Social Game Idols - 12:15 PM
- Yahoo! Japan to Open Silicon Valley Branch - 8:00 AM