If you consider yourself an Akiba pop culture geek and happen to live in Japan, then the so-called “J-Geek vol.2 International AKIBA POP Presents: ~ANIME★OLD SCHOOL!!~” event on May 17 in Shibuya should be right for you. (The first event took place in march this year.)
Organized by Saeki Kenzo from Tokyo-based PearlNet, the event is mainly geared towards fans of Akiba pop culture (see below), but I’ve been told something for tech geeks will be thrown in, too.
Here are the event details:
Date and time
5/17 (Th) 19:00 (open) ~ 23:30 (close)
Shibuya SECO Lounge (B1 1-11-1 Shibuya Shibuya-ku Tokyo Tel: 03-6418-8141)
At door ¥2,000 (+ 1 drink min.)
Reservation (¥1,500 + 1 drink min.) on Facebook
Cosplayers get in for ¥1,000 (+ 1 drink min.)
<DJ> DJ Kazu, Minami Momochi, Captain Mirai <VJ> Kitune <Idols> Nanairo Syndrome (from Akihabara Dear Stage, Melody Lien (from Maid Cafe Pinafore), Sola
Producer & MC
- DJ Kazu spinning a nonstop jam of anime songs will be met by veteran voice actor (turned DJ for the night) Yu Mizushima. Famous scenes from classic anime will come back to life in an unprecedented collaboration performance sure to please both fans of anime and voice actors alike!
- DJs for the night will be “animetic idol” Minami Momochi, popular Vocaloid song producer Captain Mirai and DJ Kazu who has just released a collection of hit anisong tune remixes! Dazzling partygoers with video mixes will be VJ Kitune. These music masters are sure to keep the mood of the lounge space just right.
- Otagei mini lesson with otagei masters and Minami Momochi (interpretation provided)
- An original idol show with idols direct from the stages of Akihabara. Idol groups from Dear Stage, which is recently popular with foreigners, as well as Maid Cafe Pinafore, and more will be singing a medley of classic popular songs.
- A special AR gadget demo with an Anime Old School theme. You too can become that famous anime heroine??
- More fun awaits, including an “idol bar” where all drinks are served by idols, and “moe” merchandise stalls.
More information can be found on J-Geeks Facebook page.