Japanese Kaomoji Stamp

Kaoiro by Ginghami is a classic stationery stamper which does not mark year-month-date but Japanese net emoticons Kaomoji(Facial Ascii Art), matches with your “:-)”, “X-D”, “;-P”, etc.

# Kaomoji is different from Emoji, every single of which is a single letter like “A” and “1” and being suggested to be included in Unicode.

kaomoji-stamp

You may dial 7 belts having over 20 letter parts to generate 2,000 different facial expressions.

Only 2,700 yen (US$30) you can use your original kaomoji stamped on your paperwork in office, if your boss don’t get mad.

If you want just digital version of those Kaomoji a lot, there are some generators and I recommend Okao Maker as it is the simplest. Your browser should be able to display Unicode font as many Kaomoji contains Japanese and other non-latin characters.

kaomoji-samples

“www” has another meaning in Japanese Web

When browsing Japanese websites, especially user-generated ones like BBS, you may see a lot of “w” letter at the end of lines on Japanese text. Such like,

“Blablabla www”

Do you know what they are? Those “w”, “ww”, “www” or longer consective “w”s mean laugh, laugh out loud in Japan.

“www” means Big Smile in Japan

i share Inc. recently researched how people recognizes “www”, with 472 internet users. The result is that 61.2% of 20’s Japanese thinks “www” as big laugh, against the rest 38.8% think it as “the world wide web”.

The origin of the “www” is, probably,

(笑)

which means “(laugh)”, pronounced as “warai” in Japanese. Then, people who do not have much time to type in Japanese (well, it takes time to type in phonetic codes first, then convert them into Kanji, Chinese origin letters in Japanese), who were on online-game chat and/or instant messengers, started “(warai)” without Kanji conversion

(warai)

shotened,

(w)

later, closing brace was omitted

(w

At last, even the opening brace was erased, as you can distinct them from main text easily, because usually main text are written in Japanese letters. So we now have

w

If you would like to show your laughing more, double it,

ww

If it is LOL, you may want to type three times,

www

So if you see a sentence like “Oh yes, I am serious. www” in Japanese, it means s/he is not serious at all. www

[See also]

(Warai) on Wikipedia Japanese [J]