Here is a list of where Japanese users usually go on the web when they want to connect with their friends, buy something or get information. I feature “made-in-Japan” sites and software only (well, almost), knowing that i.e. Google, Amazon and Firefox are highly popular in this country as well.
Some of these Japanese sites are also available in English. I linked to the English versions whenever possible and marked them with [ENG].
Note: This list is highly subjective. If you have other ideas, please let us know in the comment section.
I) General web services
What is the Japanese equivalent of Google?
Yahoo! Japan Photos.
Minna no Topics (Everyone’s topics).
Nico Nico Douga.
Hatena Bookmark. [ENG]
dooyoo (price comparison engine)?
imdb (Internet Movie Database)?
Nihon Eiga Database (Japan Movie Database).
Wall Street Journal Online?
Nikkei Online. [ENG]
Yahoo! Japan Auctions.
2 channel (the original).
Mixi Music (registration required).
What is the Japanese equivalent of Techcrunch?
Asiajin. [ENG]….Joke, people!
the Huffington Post?
III) Web tools and software:
What is the Japanese equivalent of Gmail?
Yahoo! Japan Mail.
IV) Web Companies
What is the Japanese equivalent of Federated Media?
Agile Media Network. [ENG]
NGI Group. [ENG]
In case you want to know more, please add a comment.
Latest posts by Serkan Toto (see all)
- The Nikkei: KDDI To Start Offering The iPad Mini From November - October 4, 2012
- For $12.8 Million: Yahoo Japan Acquires Decopic Creator Community Factory - September 11, 2012
- Nico Nico Douga Hits 28 Million Users, Generates US$46 Million In Sales Last Quarter - August 11, 2012
- SoftBank Starts Using The 900MHz “Platinum Band” - July 26, 2012
- Rakuten Starts Featuring Pinterest On Its Japanese Marketplace And Other Properties - July 5, 2012